Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Confessions of a 7 year old boy

Our oldest son came to us tonight, after heading to bed of course, and confessed. Confessed something that must have been weighing on him so much to push him to come clean. We were completely unaware that anything had been going on but nonetheless, he began his confession with "you guys can ground me for a long time if you want to". 

He sat on the couch with his baby/grown up face looking from the ground to our eyes. He did his best to hold back the tears as his chin quivered. 

After taking a deep breath, he told us that two of his friends in class, along with himself, were saying bad words behind the teachers back at school. I asked him what words they were saying but all he could say was "I should say sorry" 

At the parent teacher conference his teacher had warned Mason of making sure he didn't not follow the poor behavior from some other classmates he got along with. You see, he is very charismatic, kind and caring. This can attract those who are missing these things on other areas of their life. 

Part of me wanted to scold him for following them when he knew what they were doing was wrong but I sat stoic while Dad stepped in. My husband told him that he is very proud of him being so brave to tell us something knowing that there was a chance he could be punished. He said that as he gets older he may see other people doing things they are not supposed to and Mason should be sure to let us know if he, or anyone else, was in danger or were doing hurtful things. 

Mason just sat and took it all in. Breathing deeply, working on swallowing his fear of punishment. 

Instead of punishing him, we thanked him for doing the right thing. Confessing on something we had no idea was going on. 

Not only am I beyond proud of Mason, but I am so grateful that my husband was able to quell my "attack" mode and used it as a stepping stone for creating a virtuous man out of our boy. 

How would have handled this confession? Would you had to bite your tongue like me? I'm glad I don't jump verbally because this, I can only assume, was a turning point for Mason and he will now know that as long as he is honest and does not continue with the confessed behavior he will be better off. 

Ash
Thelloydmom 

No comments:

Post a Comment